Pages

Tuesday 14 January 2014

Happy Birthday to ME!

and it is 42o here in sunny Warrnambool and would probably be 45 like Stawell except we have a sea breeze. I have been out for brunch with Glenda which was delightful and I had TWO cups of coffee. That is my entire year's worth of coffee. In one sitting. It was delicious and I can say I have never ever had nicer coffee. Thank you Bright Bird Cafe. They did not sing happy birthday to me but I don't mind since the coffee was so delicious. The first time ever the coffee tasted as good as it smells.

Okay so yesterday I was so caught up with 12x12 and Revision for ReviMo that I simply did not get time to blog post so I am making up for that now in the heat. I have the curtains closed and I am sitting in a darkened room with a fan blowing the air around and I did not one but five drawings of caravans for the upcoming week theme on the 52 week challenge. Here they are.






And here is everything well a precis of everything you ever wanted to know about caravans...(thank you wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caravan)
ˈkarəvan,karəˈvan/ noun
noun: caravan; plural noun: caravans

1.
Brit.
a vehicle equipped for living in, typically towed by a car and used for holidays.
"they spent a fishing holiday in a caravan"
synonyms: mobile home, camper, caravanette; trailer; informalvan; trademarkDormobile

a covered horse-drawn wagon =
"a Gypsy caravan"
synonyms:wagon, covered cart, van, a covered lorry.
2.
historical
A caravan (from Persian: کاروان‎) is a group of people traveling together, often on a trade expedition. Caravans were used mainly in desert areas and throughout the Silk Road, where traveling in groups aided in defense against bandits as well as helping to improve economies of scale in trade.
any large group of people, typically with vehicles or animals, travelling together in single file.
synonyms: convoy, procession, column, train, cavalcade, fleet, cortège, company, troop, band, group, assemblage
Origin
late 15th century. (in sense 2): from French caravane, from Persian kārwān . The use of ‘covered horse-drawn wagon’ dates from the early 19th century(north USA).
A caravanserai, or khan, or fondouk, also han (in Turkish), also known as caravansary, caravansera, or caravansara in English (Persian: كاروانسرا‎ kārvānsarā or کاروانسرای kārvānsarāi, Turkish: kervansaray), or sarai in Indian subcontinent, was a roadside inn where travelers could rest and recover from the day's journey. Caravanserais supported the flow of commerce, information, and people across the network of trade routes covering Asia, North Africa, and southeastern Europe, especially along the Silk Road.

These were found frequently along the Persian Empire's Royal Road, a 2,500-kilometre (1,600 mi) long ancient highway that stretched from Sardis to Susa according to Herodotus: "Now the true account of the road in question is the following: Royal stations exist along its whole length, and excellent caravansaries; and throughout, it traverses an inhabited tract, and is free from danger." the precursor to the Motel. A hotel for motorists; a word coined in 1929 when cars were becoming popular.

1 comment:

  1. well I learnt a lot out of your blog today

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my chatter and look at my pictures. I hope you found something to brighten your day. <3