Pages

Friday 21 February 2014

Friday 21st February Kangaroo and Crocodile



Author: Bronwyn Bancroft
Illustrated by: Bronwyn Bancroft
Publisher: Little Hare Books
www.littleharebooks.com
Year of publications: 2011



illustrations : strong primary colours decorate this interesting book with the animals depicted in a style reminiscent of the Aboriginal/Indigenous art using dots and lines to highlight the abstract interpretation of the animals.  

This is a large hard cover book filled with depictions of  animals and a lovely work to introduce Indigenous styles of art and Australian animals to children.
   
I decided to look up the artist out of curiosity. I do love curiosity. 


Bronwyn Bancroft the author/illustrator is an Australian artist, illustrator and fashion designer. She established a shop called Designer Aboriginals, selling fabrics made by Aboriginal artists including herself and was a founding member of Boomalli Aboriginal Artists Co-operative.
Her art work is held by the National Gallery of Australia and the art galleries of New South Wales and Western Australia. 
She has provided art work for more than 20 children's books and received design commissions, including one for the exterior of a sports centre in Sydney.
Ms Bancroft has a long history of involvement in community activism and arts administration, and has served as a board member for the National Gallery of Australia.

What an interesting woman. I might research more about her for one of my PB ideas.


Onward and upward. Interestingly my picture today for the 52 week challenge is of Uluru(Ayers Rock) the heart of Australia. I did an orange hued wash over the paper with water colour, left it to dry overnight and then cross hatched the details with water colour pencils. I am quite pleased with the end result.




This is only one small portion of the rock of course and the tops of the trees skirting its base.

I told my little neighbour Poppy that I am writing a story with her as the main character. She is such a delightful little bundle of energy and I hope she likes the story when it is done. 

Oh a delightful thing, one of the ladies from the RWA contacted me and asked if I would like to do some sprint writing with her and some of the other ladies too and I am delighted to say it made me go back to working on my YA novel and I found after a 2 month break away from it I still LOVE the story. So I have been editing and tweaking all evening except when I had to run and rescue the potatoes which were burning. oops. 

That is it from me for this evening. Off to do a few more edits then an early night even if it is 11.17pm it feels early. :)

1 comment:

  1. Cecilia, the art in this book looks amazing. Thanks for the review, looks like a fun book.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my chatter and look at my pictures. I hope you found something to brighten your day. <3